Monday, April 29, 2019

What it Would be Like to Be a Mermaid By Nuala Hynes

     When I was younger, I was obsessed with a show called H2O. It was about these girls, normal girls like me, who jumped into a moon pool and then turned into mermaids anytime they touched water. H2O was an obsession of mine, so I thought I would use that inspiration to write about what I think it would be like to be a mermaid. Enjoy!
           
            I wake up in the early morning and look outside my window. It is about 6 am, meaning that I probably have time to fit in a quick swim before I head to school. I rush through the house, making sure not to wake my parents as they have no idea I am a mermaid and I wouldn't want these early-morning excursions to catch their attention. I slip out the door and run the short quarter-mile to the beach. I kick off my flip-flops and run to the ocean's edge. When I finally dive in, I am finally woken up. My goodness, is this water cold. When my legs transition into a tail, I dive under as being a mermaid gives me the ability to hold my breath for really long amounts of time. I end up deciding to swim to the island about a mile away before heading back to the shore.
            While underwater, there is a feeling of peace within me. I take note of the sea life around me and notice that the trash is really starting to build up. These people better start taking care of this ocean before its too late. I see the coral beneath me and the fish and turtles just waking up to start the day. I don't have that much time so I rush to the island and get out of the water, my tail instantly transforming back into legs. I run to the treehouse my friends and I built and climb inside to find those two friends (also mermaids) waiting for me. We always do this, pretty much every morning. Before school, we meet here. We have left granola bars and some fruit from a boat ride we took out here and we have been eating those for breakfast. I look and my watch and realize that we will be late if we do not get a move on. I shove my friends out the door and we dive into the ocean together and speed swim back to the main coastline. Now I just can't wait until after school when we go for another swim. Boy, do I love being a mermaid! -Nuala Hynes
Cover of my all-time favorite childhood show
     

6 comments:

  1. This was awesome, so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never watched H20, but when I was little I was obsessed with mermaids too. I was obsessed with The Little Mermaid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think every little girls dreams of being a mermaid for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little sister just got finished watching the entire series for the second time in a row in just the past few months. And she watched that other series that came after it, Mako Mermaids.lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I used to love H20 too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i freaking LOVE H2O. YES

    ReplyDelete

My Earliest Memory by Emma Cerra

When thinking back to my earliest memory, I wonder why I remembered it. It’s a really odd memory, hazy to the point where I feel like it cou...