Monday, April 29, 2019

Going Big For My First College Visit


As sophomore year is coming to an end, I have mixed emotions. I am relieved that finals are only 5 weeks away, which means there is only 5 weeks until I can relax and take a break, but this also means that time is moving very fast. As much as I can not wait for the future during and after college, I do not want high school to end because I do not want to grow up. I am unsure how I will function without seeing the faces of my peers whom I have been going through school with since kindergarten. The thought of starting over somewhere far away from home, not knowing many familiar faces is scary, but it is going to happen eventually.

Speaking of going to college, there are only 2 short years left of school left for me, which means it is time to start getting serious about my new home for 4 years. The colleges I am interested are in the South, because warm weather is a must (as I cannot handle being freezing a majority of the year any longer)! Being that I was doing nothing during spring break, my family took a trip to Baltimore to relax, and also look at colleges. We took a drive by Loyola and University of Maryland, but we had a scheduled tour for Johns Hopkins University.

Going into this small getaway, I had no intentions of ever going to Johns Hopkins, because it is a mini ivy, and I just assumed everyone there would be so much smarter than me, so I wouldn't even apply. Going on this tour was just for giggles, to see what a prestigious school like Hopkins would be like. By the end of my tour, I was feeling a lot more confident that if I really worked to my fullest potential in school, Hopkins could be a potential reach school, and unlock my endless future in the medical world.

Getting back to the tour, I was very fortunate to have gotten a one on one tour. Being that I was with my whole family including my sister who is in a wheelchair, we had to have a handicap accessible tour, which worked in my favor because I would have had to go on a tour with 40 people in one group! Being on this personal tour, I got to ask a lot of questions relating to myself, and ask my tour guide questions I would have not otherwise asked if I was in a larger group. Being on a private tour definitely made me feel more confident that this school could be something to work towards in my final years of high school because my tour guide showed and explained to me some fascinating science improvements the students have made, and I was amazed.

After going into Hopkins, I feel more motivated than ever to do well in school. My tour guide showed me what I could achieve if I worked to my fullest potential, and even if I do not get into Hopkins, being able to have gotten something out of my tour was the most I could ask for. I most likely will not attend Hopkins because it is not my perfect vision of my college experience, seeing what campus life was at an elite school made me change my attitude, and can help me better my chances in getting into one of my top schools.



Image result for johns hopkinsImage result for johns hopkins

Here is a picture of the front of Johns Hopkins and their amazing library.






1 comment:

  1. It's great that you got to visit some schools and start to set more specific goals for yourself!

    ReplyDelete

My Earliest Memory by Emma Cerra

When thinking back to my earliest memory, I wonder why I remembered it. It’s a really odd memory, hazy to the point where I feel like it cou...