Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Snapchat Etiquette- Kyle Sutton

Kyle Sutton

Recently for lent I gave up Snapchat, and it was something of a blessing. It felt good to disconnect. However, I definitely am going to reinstall on Easter Sunday. When thinking about it, I realize I forgot the code. The secret language that teenagers share on the popular communication app. I had to do some research so I could pick up where I left off.
Image result for snapchat
Table of Contents
Dictionary of Abbreviations

Types of snaps

Stories: public, private, group

Part 1: Abbreviations
The main separation between not only snapchat users, but teenagers in general from the rest is the sort of "secret language" we possess. Some people don't have the natural understanding like others, here is a little guide for all of your abbreviation needs.
Lol- laugh our loud
ttyl- talk to you later
tmr- tomorrow
lmao- very funny
lmfao- VERY funny
bruh- that was a stupid thing to say
omg- Oh my goodness
oof- I'm so sorry that happened to you that's terrible
smh- shaking my head (synonymous with bruh)
bruv- bruh, but only to be used if you are "edgy"
idk- I don't know
idc- I don't care (not to be confused with idk, sometimes somebody can say one and mean both)
w- with
btw- by the way
cu- see you
atm- at the moment
wya- where you at?
kys- slightly angrier toned bruh
luhmaow- lmao

Part 2: Types of Snaps
A snap is a picture, sometimes with a caption, sometimes not, but some snaps, or lack thereof, have a special meaning

"Leaving on read"- a dagger to the heart for some, but for others it could be a mistake. I believe choosing to leave someone on read is a statement, I don't want to talk to you.
"Goodnight at 9:30"- once again could mean that they are just trying to get an early bed time, but most of the time, it really means, I don't want to talk to you
"Good morning"- Now I personally think this one is a statement, it is to show somebody that you were thinking about them or want to start off talking to them, not always romantic, but it shows you are important
"Hey vlog"- a vlog is a video someone takes of themselves talking about something. Generally if someone sends you a vlog then it means you are important and trusted, if they start off with hey vlog, then you are a part of a trusted group.
"No caption conversation"- this could mean a number of things, essentially the people send pictures of their face back and forth but not words. This can mean three things, 1, you want to be friends with this person but don't know how to start a conversation, 2, neither party really wants to talk to the other but they don't want to be rude, 3, a combination, one party wants to be friends the other doesn't want to talk

Part 3: Types of stories

Public- The public story is a place for something that you are proud of. Something that you don't mind if anyone sees. Generally people will only post the good on their public story.

Big Private- A big private is for all of your friends where you post every day happenings, or funny things that happen in your life. You put people on here that you like and think care to look through each snap.

Little private- A little private is for only your close friends. This is where you show your goofy self, and your deepest secrets. IF you are on someone's little private story you are trusted, and if you put someone on yours you trust them.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, interesting view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool that you gave this up and survived! Why do you need it back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice definitions for the acronyms (especially all the different versions of "bruh").

    ReplyDelete

My Earliest Memory by Emma Cerra

When thinking back to my earliest memory, I wonder why I remembered it. It’s a really odd memory, hazy to the point where I feel like it cou...