Tuesday, April 30, 2019

The Spring Break That Took My Breath Away by Beth Nedelka

Unlike some of my classmates, I did not go away this spring break. I enjoyed the comfort of my own home while people were off on tropical islands, soaking up the sun, and living an amazing life.  Although I was probably just as salty as the warm ocean water some of my peers swam in that I was not on vacation, I certainly enjoyed my break. Even with an obstacle towards the end.

My week off went along rather normally with trips to the mall, laughing for hours with my friends, and spending way too much money going out to eat. But there was a big twist Friday afternoon into the evening. I spent the majority of my day at a friend's house after a sleepover just laying around watching T.V.. Since it was raining I decided to go to the gym and try to make one part of my day productive. I started my workout feeling better than ever. I ran three miles with less difficulty than in the past and I had just perfected my running, pump up playlist. My dad picked me up from the gym and we went home just like any other day. As we drove home and the pouring rain smacked the top of the car my dad made a  joke and I started to laugh. But, as I laughed I became very short of breath and, before I knew it, had a coughing fit. My coughing fit startled both my dad and I, but I seemed to have my breathe back by the time we arrived home.

Once I got inside I drank water and tried to catch my breath and make sure my throat was clear. But then I had another coughing fit, far worse than the one in the car. With this my dad told me to shower to wash any pollen off of me since my allergies get bad this time of year. After cleaning up I continued to cough on and off for about an hour and everything seemed hazy as I was light headed and constantly short of breath. My symptoms soon escalated to the point where my parents and I were afraid to spend the night at home and my dad and I quickly drove to the emergency room. We got there and talked to the receptionist for what seemed like hours but were eventually sent back into a room where we met doctors.

The first doctor listened to my breathing and called down a respiratory therapist to hook me up to a machine that would "open up my lungs". They quickly ensured that I would be okay but, a combination of being sick a week before, allergy season, and exercising led to the weakening of my lungs which is what made it so hard to breathe. When I first entered the hospital my oxygen levels were very low but within a few minutes of treatment I felt good as new. Luckily I left the hospital that night in good shape and was able to enjoy the rest of my break. However, I did find trying on clothes as I was shopping the next day a lot more tiring than before and still cough when I laugh (don't even get me started on walking up the stairs).

This year my spring break showed me how you don't have to go away to face new surprises. My break was fantastic and I could even say it took my breath away!

My lungs, all happy after seeing the doctors 

Me in the emergency room while I was on the nebulizer 


1 comment:

My Earliest Memory by Emma Cerra

When thinking back to my earliest memory, I wonder why I remembered it. It’s a really odd memory, hazy to the point where I feel like it cou...