Monday, April 8, 2019

Hesitation by Jordan Bucenec

Hesitation

Come across this bridge with me,
I don’t know where it’s headed,
but I can assure you,
we’ll make it onto the other side.


You hesitate
and that’s all it took
For me to know that the feelings between us weren’t mutual


I laugh,
Freely, almost like there wasn’t an ever-present hand choking around my neck,
Or tears hidden behind my eyes.


I should’ve known
My touch wasn’t what you desired
It was her.
A skinny frame
And a larger bust
A sweeter smile
Longer hair
And plumper lips
A tiny waist
And freckled arms
With gentle hands
That you could hold
And not feel the coldness that ran through mine.


And perhaps she's your warmth
Maybe her lips mold with yours, and they fit like puzzle pieces.
Maybe you enjoy the feeling of her hip bones jabbing into your sides
Or the way her long hair sheds onto your bedsheets
Maybe you heard chimes when she laughs
Or angels when she sings


I’m sorry about the fat that hangs around my hips
And the fact that my upper lip is smaller than my bottom
And my cold hands
I’m sorry I cut my hair
And that my laugh sounds like whistles
And that I don’t like to sing.


But you have her.
And she is beautiful.


So I forget the soft lines that form between your eyebrows
And the veins that flow down your arms
I’ll forget the sound of your laugh
And the feeling of your hair between my fingertips
I’ll forget the way you used to lean your head against my shoulder
And how warm your hands felt
I’ll forget.


I forget as I cross the bridge
Without you.

Image result for bridge photographyImage result for bridge photography



3 comments:

  1. This is so beautifully written and heartfelt. It makes the reader feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw this is beautiful

    ReplyDelete

My Earliest Memory by Emma Cerra

When thinking back to my earliest memory, I wonder why I remembered it. It’s a really odd memory, hazy to the point where I feel like it cou...