Tuesday, April 30, 2019

A writing prompt from reddit by Jon Poret

The Prompt:
You've been kicked out of the band. Furious and indignant, you decide to summon a demon and make a deal for incredible musical skill. The Demon agrees to grant your wish, but instead of your soul, in exchange the Demon wants to be in your new band.

I couldn't believe it. I had been kicked out of a band I had helped create. One that wouldn't exist without me. And they kicked me out because a better bassist wanted to be in the band. But that's okay, I'll find my way back into the band. 

I studied the books for hours a day, finding a perfect way to summon a demon. I could make a deal with one, and become the best bassist to exist. There would be a catch, but I didn't care, I just wanted to be back in the band.

I said the words in the book. And as I muttered the last word, a ball of fire materialized in front of me. 
"WHO DARES SUMMON THE LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD?" The voiced boomed. 
"Me. I want to be the best bassist in the world."
"Ah, an aspiring musician, I see. Very Well. I have one condition, however. I want to be in your band."
I hesitantly agreed, and received the talent of gods. Or more like, the talent of demons, I guess? I mean, a demon did give me the talent. 
I went back to the band to show them my newfound talent. I plucked, slapped, and popped the strings on my bass like Flea if he took steroids. They were amazed, and let me back in. Soon after, the demon started hounding us to be in the band, and I let him in. The others left soon after, and more demons filled the band. One day, we were practicing, when all of a sudden we were brought to a random field in Georgia. The devil had made a deal with a boy named Johnny, and needed our help. He had to beat him in a fiddle contest for his soul. If he lost, he had to give Johnny a fiddle of gold.
Image result for the devil went down to georgia
We played our hardest, but the devil, he wasn't that good. His fiddle sounded like he was dragging a cats claws against a chalkboard. We tried our hardest to make his playing sound alright, but no matter what we did, It just wasn't that good. Then Johnny started to play.

He didn't need his own band to back him, he backed himself while he played his solo.
As soon as he finished his solo, it was easy to determine the winner. Johnny was a very skilled fiddle player. The devil threw the golden fiddle at Johnny, angered by his loss. He needed souls to collect.
We were sent back to where we were practicing. The demons thought nothing of it, but something felt off. I started to play. All of my talent was gone. The devil took it.

1 comment:

My Earliest Memory by Emma Cerra

When thinking back to my earliest memory, I wonder why I remembered it. It’s a really odd memory, hazy to the point where I feel like it cou...