Sunday, November 25, 2018

Through the Eyes of Two Pets

                                           Through the Eyes of Two Pets by Ashley Rogers                                        Character 1:                                                                                                                                                                  As I lay on the hardwood floor, looking out at the cloudy, blue-gray sky, I notice large white flakes glistening as they fall from the sky. Just then, my owner swiftly grasps my leash and leads me into this unfamiliar environment. Outside, these peculiar droplets begin landing on my fur and tongue, melting into wetness and causing me to shiver. Inching forward, I cautiously prance through this white stuff that has invaded my backyard. Encouraged by my owner, I courageously stride through this cold pillow of whiteness. Falling face first onto the ground, the white substance sticks to my snout, causing my once black nose to turn white. Appreciating the frigid sensation, I begin rolling in the white pile that has accumulated on the ground. My youngest human "sister" watches in awe for several moments before mimicking me in my abrupt movements. Continuing to play outside, my sister uses this white powdery substance to form balls, which she tosses at me, and begins to build structures, which resemble the physical traits of her species. Unfortunately, the sky gradually begins to dim, enticing my owner to call my "sister" and me inside. Once inside, I lay by the crackling fireplace with my head leaning up against my owner's legs, counting down the hours until I can once again roll around in the white accumulated pile outside.                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Narrator:                                                                                                                                                                       Concurrently, while this four-legged member of the family carelessly frolics through the snow, another pet contemplates both of their lives as a whole.                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Character 2:                                                                                                                                                                  Sprawled out on the windowsill with a bowl of milk and tuna positioned next to me, I meticulously study my "brother" wriggling around in the snow for the first time in his life and consider how foolish he looks. I, being the more sophisticated of the two pet species in my family, continuously resist the urge to ridicule my "brother's" absurd antics, such as chasing his tail or forgetting where he buries his bone. Despite my "brother's" obvious nonsensical behavior, I still periodically resent all of the attention he receives because of his vivacious attitude. If only my "brother" wasn't so perky, maybe then I would enjoy an occasional pat on the head for being a "Good Boy." Nevertheless, I am grateful to have him as a fellow pet "brother" and will try to be more open-minded when engaging with him.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Narrator:                                                                                                                                                                       Even though these two animal "brothers" never truly become friends, the sanctimonious cat learns to respect the dog's behavior that he views as eccentric and, in turn, the dog shares some of the attention he receives with his brother, as he ages.                                                                             
                                                                          

5 comments:

My Earliest Memory by Emma Cerra

When thinking back to my earliest memory, I wonder why I remembered it. It’s a really odd memory, hazy to the point where I feel like it cou...