Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Mystery Donor Potentially Saves A Life By: Becca Lefkowitz

   As I search up current events on my computer, and click on the first link that comes up; I see lists of either events that have occurred too far in the past, politics, or depressing news. I wanted to see if there was anything uplifting about someone going out of their way for someone else, because it often feels like there aren't many people in the world who genuinely care about others. Many times people degrade others due to their own insecurity or to be viewed as superior. Which is mind boggling because from personal experience it feels awesome to go out of my way and do something beneficial for someone else. I love seeing their face light up because of me, which forces me to want to do more good.
   As I am daydreaming and half heatedly paying attention to my screen, I stumble upon an article that reads, "Mystery Donor Gives $130,000 To 4-Year Old With Cancer For Treatment in The US." The first thought that comes to mind is, woah, how the heck can one someone afford to give all that money away, and two, damn!!!!! Like this person makes my holding a door open for someone seem dumb.
   A mystery donor gave money to Zac Oliver to fly to the U.S., from the UK, and get surgery done in The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Zac was originally diagnosed with an extremely rare form of Leukemia, and is the only person that has this condition in the UK. In total he is one of six in the whole entire world. With this whopping donation, Zac's chance of survival has increased to be 60-80%, opposed to 25% if he were to continue on chemotherapy in the UK.
   Zac's mother, Hannah Oliver, was overwhelmed by this gift, this gift of life, that the donation provided. Most people who have money typically like to keep it for themselves, while few of them are selfless and lend a hand to those who need it. I thought that giving away $1,000 was an extremely generous amount, but $130,000!!! THAT IS CRAZY! I really admire this donor who gave up a portion of their money to help someone in need. Although, I don't have that kind of money, I look up to them, and want to start making bigger efforts for others.
mystery donor helps save boy with cancer

The Oliver Family


mystery donor helps save boy with cancer
Zac Oliver, extremely excited for his treatment

In case others want to read more about this: https://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/3044/Mystery-Donor-Gives-130-000-To-4-Year-Old-With-Cancer-For-Treatment-In-The-US


3 comments:

  1. Wow, How amazing! I wish I had tons of money to be able to do things like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool that people with money are actually helping others without expecting any benefit for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! Zac is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete

My Earliest Memory by Emma Cerra

When thinking back to my earliest memory, I wonder why I remembered it. It’s a really odd memory, hazy to the point where I feel like it cou...