Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Happiness by Chloe Clancy

what is happiness?

hap·pi·ness
/ˈhapēnəs/
noun
the state of being happy.

but is it really just that? Is it really that simple, so that I just tell my brain to be happy, and that is happiness?

is it having enough money to own expensive clothes? is it getting a perfect hit to score a point? is it listening to that one song from middle school? or is it the look on his face when you're together?

"What, according to you, is happiness?"

"Being with people I love."
"Feeling like you have a meaningful place in this world."
"To be content and comfortable with your surroundings."
"Something to be cherished."
"Satisfaction in a moment or a long period of time."
"Love."

but can it really be summed up in a sentence? or a word?

level 1, laetus
happiness from material objects
ex. a nice meal, a new car, a favorite song

level 2, felix
ego gratification
ex. being admired, being smarter, being more attractive

level 3, beautitudo
happiness of others
ex. friendship, love, unity

level 4, sublime beautitudo
perfect happiness
ex. transcendence, balance, absoluteness

how does one acquire the "sublime beautitudo?"

"By learning to cherish everything in life."
"Being able to love everything."
"Becoming in touch with your mind."
"Surrounding yourself with things that make you happy."
"Aging."

is there really a true answer?
is there really a dictionary definition of what it means to be content in life?

my answer is that there is none.
there is no right answer. there is no wrong answer.
happiness is different for everyone. it is a journey.
find your happiness.
My happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Earliest Memory by Emma Cerra

When thinking back to my earliest memory, I wonder why I remembered it. It’s a really odd memory, hazy to the point where I feel like it cou...