Monday, February 4, 2019

One of the Most Important Things to me By Nick Furnari







          The strength and the stamina to persist, the struggle and determination to win, the extraordinary excitement of intense competition. The most electrifying, interesting, and amazing sport. Football.

Image result for new york football giants

          I've been watching football for as long as I can remember, but through ups and downs, I always root for the New York Giants. Correspondingly, the first football game I remember watching is Superbowl 42, the 10-6 New York Giants vs. the 16-0 New England Patriots. It was one of the best games I've ever seen.  Obviously being 3 years old, I don't recall much from the game but I do remember the two key moments. One of the most memorable moments in Superbowl history, the David Tyree Helmet Catch down in the middle of the field, on 3rd and 5, with 1:15 left on the clock. I distinctly recall Eli dropping back, looking to throw, but all of a sudden he is rushed through the line. Eli is caught between 2 linemen with their arms around him, pulling him down. He is trapped, with no where to go, the pressure is on, and he needs to convert this down if he wants a chance at the trophy. Suddenly, he breaks out of the tackle, stumbling back. The patriots line finally pushes through and at the last second, Eli Manning heaves the ball down the middle of the field. The camera pans. time stops. The ball, gliding overhead with no vision of who is below. The ball conveys both hope and fear, but as the camera pans down the fear is outweighed. The ball drops down on top of David Tyree, a lesser know wide receiver, not known for making too many catches, and a patriots defender directly in front of him. The ball drops down right over Tyree, he reaches his hand up as he gets tackled by the defender. The grabs the ball with one hand, but it starts to slip. He gets his second hand loose from the defender and grasps the ball against his hand as he falls to the ground. As he has the ball with both hands, everyone knows he will not let it go. And just like that, David Tyree, number 85 on the New York Giants, made Superbowl history, saving the game from certain defeat. Somehow, after all of that, they are not done yet. With only 35 seconds left on the clock Plaxico Burress, number 17 on the New York Giants, runs and out right to the left corner of the end-zone. He fakes out the defender, and with a perfect lob from Eli Manning, the Giants have knocked out the undefeated Patriots and won Superbowl 42, 17-14.

                                               David Tyree Helmet Catch: Superbowl 42
Image result for david tyree

Related image          Football is very important to me because it's a fun way to connect with family and friends. Rooting for the same team or rooting against each other. I'm even a referee for Football! Also, Football created many memories for me like the one I just shared and plenty more. Overall, Football will always be apart of my life and I'm happy for that. It will always be exciting and interesting to watch, (besides Superbowl 53) and I'll always enjoy it. And no matter what, even if they play awfully for the rest of my life, I will always root for the New York Giants. They're my team, and they always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Earliest Memory by Emma Cerra

When thinking back to my earliest memory, I wonder why I remembered it. It’s a really odd memory, hazy to the point where I feel like it cou...