Thursday, April 25, 2019

I Wish It Was Like This By Chloe Clancy

Sunday 
9:17 AM
Hallandale Beach, Florida

The smell of fresh cooking drifts through the condo.
I wake up. The early sun shines through my blinds, and the shadows hit the floor. I step over to the window, and gaze into the distance. Looking past the Inter coastal, through the space in between two apartment buildings, a tiny view of the Atlantic Ocean shimmers in the early sunlight. 

I glance in the mirror. 

Sigh.  Will my hair ever look normal when I wake up? 

Trudging into the kitchen, I hear "Acoustic Sunrise" playing on the radio. It sounds like Ed Sheeran. Typical. 

"Good morning sweetheart." 

"Good morning Dad."

I sit down, and a plate of scrambled eggs with bacon is placed in front of me. It's delicious, but I wasn't expecting anything less. 

10:24 AM

My father and I go down to the pool, smiling at everyone we see in the lobby or the parking lot. It's the polite thing to do, even though we don't ever know them. 

I can feel the hot sun beating onto the concrete near the water. Boats race through the Inter Coastal while we dip our toes in the neighboring pool. The water is the perfect temperature.

I jump in first, and he follows. 

"I'll race you to the end!" I yell, and immediately dive underwater. My legs pump through the water and my arms fly over my head. It feels like I'm actually going pretty fast.

My track coach always said, "If you can see them in your peripherals, they're beating you." 

I saw him in my peripherals. 

Soon he was past that, and he was yards in front of me. 

"Seriously! You definitely cheated," I said. 

"Or, maybe I'm just faster than you. You can't win em' all," he said. Even though he was just naturally athletic, I could tell he was genuinely proud of beating me every day for the past week. 

4:52 PM
Gulfstream Park

My Mom, dad and I walk through the dirt parking lot to the edge of the track, like a family would. My dad loved to watch the horses run, especially against the vibrant sunset. 

Every couple a seconds, a different jockey would speed by on his horse. 

"See that guy who just went past?" he said. "He's one of the best jockeys in the country."

"Only you would know that," my mom muttered. 

We all laughed. 

Half an hour passed by, and we all agreed we were hungry. 

5:47 PM
Sweet Tomatoes

For some reason, this healthy buffet restaurant was my absolute favorite, and I'm starting to feel bad for dragging my parents here once a week. It has a comforting feel every time we go in.

"Hm, I wonder what you're going to get?" my dad said to me sarcastically.

It's funny because I get the same thing every time I go. 

Pasta salad, chicken noodle soup, pizza bread, and if I'm feeling it, chocolate ice cream for dessert. You can't go wrong with any of that.

"Uh, Chloe? Don't you think that's way too much food?" my mom asked. 

"It's okay she plays sports. It cancels out," my dad said, sticking up for me. 

I stuck my hand out for a fist bump, which he swiftly returned. Clearly I get my fist bumping genes from him. 

10:18 PM

Some random movie is playing on the TV. My eyes can no longer take it, they're becoming heavier and heavier.

"I'm going to sleep," I proclaimed. My parents' eyes shift from the TV to me. 

"You're still tired from losing that race?" my Dad teased. 

"Give her a break Tom, she just needs practice," my mom said, actually taking my side for once. Huh. 

I smiled. "I'm just resting up for tomorrow, I can feel it, I'm finally going to beat you," I said. "Goodnight Mom, goodnight Dad." 

"Goodnight Chloe," they said in unison. 

I went into my room, flopped down onto the bed, and shut my eyes.

Days like this were all I had ever wished for. 



3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and heartbreaking. Thank you for sharing it with us. I love the baby Chloe picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Chloe I loved this style of writing really unique and personal, I literally couldn't stop reading it, it was amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're making me cry stop

    ReplyDelete

My Earliest Memory by Emma Cerra

When thinking back to my earliest memory, I wonder why I remembered it. It’s a really odd memory, hazy to the point where I feel like it cou...